Article Summary: Today with this article, I will tell you some of the best ways through which you can easily learn how to open VMDK file in VMware. So to know more keep reading.
Virtual Machine Descriptor File (VMDK)is a file extension for virtual disk image files that are created by VMware products, such as VMware Workstation, VMware ESXi and other third-party tools. It is frequently used for cloud computing services and virtualization. A virtual VMDK file carries all the information of a virtual machine. Normally, non-virtualized machines can only obtain individual system files and components, but a virtual disk file contains all the necessary information on a single disk, which empowers it for individualistic operations.
We attach vmdk with Vmware as we use it to store one or more Virtual Files and it can only be accessed as a physical hard disk with VMware Software.
VMDK file is generally used by VMware software but we can mount vmdk in Vmware as a virtual disk using Win Mount. As a result, users can easily delete, copy and modify the files in Virtual disk.
How to Open VMDK file in VMware?
If you import VMDK in Vmware then it will be more easy for you to handle the vmdk files. As you can modify, delete or copy vmdk data. Follow the steps to do so:
- Open your VMware and Click on “File,” then “New” and “Virtual Machine”.
- Click “Next” and choose “Custom” for your system type.
- if your VMDK file is from an earlier version of VMWare then select “Legacy”. Hit “New” if it is from the current version. Click “Next” to continue.
- Choose the Operating System you are installing from the list and then choose its version from the drop-down menu. If you do not know, Hit the radio button next to “Other.” Click “Next” to move forward.
- Enter a name for the virtual machine and then choose a folder to store it.
- Specify the number of processors you would like to use. This must match the number of processors on your computer. The default setting of “one” is the safest.
- Choose the amount of memory you would like to allocate to the operating system. Adjust the slider until it reaches the minimum requirements listed on the screen.
- Choose your network type and click “Next.”
- Now from the Select a Disk window choose “Use an existing virtual disk” and click “Next.”
- Select the VMDK file on your hard drive and click it. Press “Open” to select it.
- Click “Finish.”
Note: When you try to open vmdk file in windows 10 VMware, many times you didn’t gets succeed. Because it may be possible that the VMDK fails to open in windows 10 or you might get an error like VMware is not opening with Windows. As may the file is not well or corrupt. So let’s find that how to solve corruption in VMDK files Vmware.
Read here: How to fix issues with your VM
Issues with VMDK file
However, it is noted that numerous times when users want to access their VMDK file data, the virtual machine often stops operating or doesn’t open the VMDK file. There can be two possibilities behind this difficulty, either the VM is not cooperative with your machine or the VMDK file is defective.
In most maximum cases, it is found that the VMDK file gets corrupt or damaged and stop the VM machine to power on. So, let’s find out how a VMDK file gets corrupt, and how we can open a corrupt VMDK file in windows 10 Vmware.
How VMDK file prone to corruption?
There can be many reasons for VMDK corruption but we have mentioned the most possible ones here:
- If the Descriptor file is missing.
- When the VMDK flat file has an incorrect description.
- When the VMDK file is corrupt or defected.
Errors that occur in VM when a VMDK file is not-well:
- “Unable to start. A file not foiund”
- “Unable to find the required file”.
- “The machine can not find the specified file”.
Open/Attach a corrupt VMDK file with VMware
So, if you are concerned about opening your corrupt VMDK files, then recline because there are solutions with which can easily view or open your VMDK data with ease. One of the best ways to do this is by using suitable software. However, saying and doing is altogether a separate business. As there is ‘N’ number of online tools available which term themselves as the best. But selecting one is a quit tough ask. Trust me on that.
So if you take my recommendation, I would refer you to check this VMDK Recovery Software. This online application is one of the best possible tools to view and open VMDK file in VMware & Windows 10, 8, 7, XP and other versions. Plus the best part of this tool is that it provides users a free demo version which lets you evaluate the complete features that the software is providing.
Some notable features of the software:
- Effective recovery of maximum possible data from corrupt VMDK files.
- This tool is quite proficient to support VMDK files that are saved in Fixed or Dynamic disc types.
- It supports VMDK files which are FLAT, split & SPARSE event descriptor.
- Offers two different scanning modes I .e. Standard and Advance depends upon the level of corruption.
- Support both partition tables, i.e. (MBR) & (GPT).
- Custom settings option is authorized for selected volume before recovery.
- Support files systems of all OS, such as FAT, FAT16, FAT32, FAT64, NTFS, HFS+ and EXTX.
So I hope now you successfully understood how to open VMDK file in Vmware if the file is error-free. But if the file is not well then you might face issues to attach or import VMDK in VMware. So use the VMDK Repair tool to fix the errors and easily import VMDK in VMware.