Summary: In this article, we will be covering the easiest approach to convert VMDK to VHD VirtualBox. Along with how the conversion process occurs and what to do when the VMDK files are not well.
Most maximum of the companies all around the planet using virtualization. Because it empowers enterprises to increase the utilization of their hardware. There are so many virtualization software obtainable within the market, but two of the most widespread Virtual software are Microsoft VMware and Hyper-V.
Both programs have their own specs and specialties, and they do not support each other. VMware software works using VMDK file format to store virtual disk data, whereas Microsoft Hyper-V uses VHD or hyper-v vhd format. So, at several points, there appear circumstances when you might need to convert the VMDK file to Virtualbox VHD file format.
First things first
What is a VMDK file?
VMware machines generate Virtual Machine Disk aka VMDK. A virtual machine environment can easily compete with a computer system and creates a real physical computer environment by offering real computer features. A .vmdk file saves the entire data of a hard drive and used as a regular hard drive or backup medium for important information. By using a VMDK file, you can store maximum up to 2TB data. On the other hand, the VMware vSphere, allows you to store up to 62 GB of data. Numerous VMware products are there in the market that uses VMDK file format, such as VMware Player, VMware Server, VMware ESX, VMware fusion, VMware ESXi.
A VHD file called as Virtual Hard Disk. Connectix first published it for virtualization purpose, Microsoft overtook it in 2003. Under Microsoft Open Specification Promise VHD format made accessible to third-parties in 2005. A VHD can operate as a regular physical disk to install OS or to create files and folders, etc. Furthermore, the volume of a VHD file is adjustable and can be maintained and regulated by a virtualization administrator.
Need to convert VMDK to VHD virtualbox
Several reasons are there which require to convert VMDK to VHD file.
- For instance, if you want to move from the VMware environment to Microsoft Hyper-V, then you need to transform VMDK files into VHD. Also, if you’re practicing Azure cloud service, then to move VMware data to the cloud, you have to convert VMDK file to VHD.
- Everyone finds it more straightforward to handle everything on Windows Server, as they don’t need any further training for it. Windows Server comes with Microsoft Hyper-V as an in-built feature, so there is no need not have to pay any additional expense like VMware machine.
- Some users desire to convert VMDK files to VHD file format to protect their data from any type of data loss or to keep it as a backup. Similarly, a lot of doubts submitted on Microsoft discussion forums correlated to how to turn VMDK files to VHD without any error or data failure.
Ways to convert VMDK file to vhd format
There are various third-party explications that empower you to transform VMDK to VHD, but each software has a price. So, to overcome the third-party software charge, Microsoft provides a free virtual machine converter to convert vmware to virtualbox using PowerShell commands. We have expended some more useful perspicacity about Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter software.
Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter
It is an autonomic software for IT specialists or solution providers who want to develop themselves from Virtual Machine Disks to Microsoft’s Hyper-V hosts and Azure. People who crave to change physical computers and hard disks to Hyper-V hosts can also use this service.
It is compatible with Windows PowerShell that enables you to automate exchanges and connect them with data center computerization workflows. As you can recognize it is the newest variant of Virtual Machine Converter which involves online translation of physical machines to virtual hard disks. Presently, let’s have a look at the working method of this tool.
- Install Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter on your machine.
- Next, after installing Microsoft Conversion kit, begin PowerShell and use the hereinafter cmdlet to introduce the following module:
Import-Module “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter\mvmcCmdlet.psd1”
- Once the module is introduced, you can use the underneath cmdlet to convert VMDK to VHD virtualbox files.
PS C:\>ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath E:\SERVERNAME\SERVER
NAME.vmdk -VhdType DynamicHardDisk -VhdFormat vhdx -destination E:\VHD\
- Once the VMDK file is switched to VHD, build a new VM in Hyper-V manager and choose an existent disk.
You can visit this Microsoft Docs to know more about Powershell and learn how to import it to Azure.
Transforming genuine and regular VMDK files to VHD is simple, but if the VMDK files are defective or corrupted, then it’s not easy to save them in VHD format. Though, there are remarkable free means to repair unreliable VMDK files. But, there is no assurance that you will be capable to convert VMDK files with hand-operated processes indeed after fixing them. So, in order to fix the VMDK issues, use a VMDK recovery software that gives impeccable VMware recovery of VMDK files – Vdiskrecovery VMDK Recovery Software.
Migrating VMDK to VHD becomes a requirement. When the vmdk files get corrupted or when want to convert vmware to virtualbox. But the process to convert VMDK to VHD Virtualbox is not simple with contaminated VMDK files. So, you’ll have to improve corrupt VMDK files with Vdiskrecovery VMDK Recovery. In this paper, we have explained how you can transform VMDK files to VHD.